Meaning of Meaning (Ogden and Richards): “Meaning of Meaning”
C. K Ogden & I. A. Richards
Any discussion of meaning should begin with the classic book by Ogden and Richards. The link above takes you to a page of informative stuff: a slide show intro., links to several papers, and other references. The first task is to try to get clear just what sort of question one is asking when one asks “What does that mean?” E.g., look at these examples:
- What do those flashing lights mean? [asked by a driver speeding along the Island highway]
- What do these red spots mean? [asked by a patient in the emergency room at NRGH]
- What does “retromingent” mean? [asked by a smart-ass student in grade four]
- What does it mean to say “Jesus is the Lamb of God”? [asked by a reader of John]
- What do those dark clouds mean? [asked by a boater in the channel]
- What does Yeats mean when he writes “slouching toward Bethlehem”?
A click on the header should take you to a copy of the book!